While we usually have many physical meetings and events, COVID-19 has introduced us to the world of Zoom, come and stay connected with us: https://fibrolondongroup.ca/2020/08/01/ill-stop-the-world-and-zoom-with-you/
To provide persons with Fibromyalgia (FM) and/or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS/ME) with:
- Access to a safe, scent-free, supportive, inclusive space where individuals, their families, caregivers, and supporters can, without judgement, listen to and learn from each other.
- Opportunities to share personal experiences, information, ideas, and strategies to help one cope with symptoms and live a healthy life or lifestyle.
- Increased awareness and education on this invisible, chronic multi-systemic illness.
- Inspirational and acceptance in a caring, positive, fun and friendly environment.
- Ways to develop and strengthen one’s ability to not just survive with FM and/or CFS/ME, but to thrive, in spite of it.
What We Offer
- Supportive, safe, non-judgemental meeting space.
- Positive moral and peer support, encouragement and advice.
- Group meetings with an invited guest speaker(s) to enhance your personal knowledge and education on: the symptoms and lifestyle impacts of Fibromyalgia and/or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; living a healthy lifestyle with chronic conditions; diet and nutrition; exercises and stress management; community/professional services, resources, programs; alternative healing treatments; etc.
- Peer-led Sharing Circle Sessions to share and exchange information on daily living with FM and/or CFS/ME; coping strategies and tips; healing practices; etc. Confidentiality of what is said during the sessions is respected and expected!
- Special Events with high profile guest speakers to raise awareness and support advocacy and education for National Pain Awareness Week (November) as well as FM/CFS/ME Awareness Month (May).
- Access to information on national/provincial advocacy strategies.
- Opportunity to build your own network of support services, resources, professionals, and connections.
For more information contact us at:
Disclaimer: The Fibromyalgia London Group (FLG) was created to be a resource of pertinent information to those who attend our meetings, sharing circle sessions, and special events. While we invite medical and healthcare professionals, advocates, practitioners or representatives from community organizations to speak at our meetings and special events, FLG does not endorse, support or recommend any specific treatment, product, therapy or person. The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by participants and group members do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs, views, or official policies of the FLG.
FIBROMYALGIA LONDON GROUP (FLG) GROUND RULES FOR HEALTHY ZOOM MEETINGS – PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW
- THINK OF OTHERS/RESPECT EACH OTHER – We offer a safe, inclusive, non-judgmental space for open, candid dialogue. Our leadership team members are volunteers who are donating their time and energy to help support you. Give them the respect they deserve. No personal attacks!
- 0% TOLERANCE FOR ABUSIVE/DEROGATORY LANGUAGE, EMOTIONAL OR VERBAL ABUSE – You will be asked to leave the Zoom room immediately and your participation at future FLG events revoked.
- HONOUR CONFIDENTIALITY – Any private information shared or personal crisis discussed at FLG events is deemed confidential and should stay in the Zoom room. No discussion on specifics of what is shared, who participates, or opinions expressed should take place with anyone. If a participant is found breaking this rule, the consequence will be immediate termination of membership and/or refusal of event at future events.
- AVOID SPLINTER GROUPS OR EXCLUSION – We encourage all members to reach out, connect and socialize with each other. Build up your support base. We do, however, ask you to be mindful and to refrain from creating splinter groups, or intentionally exclude anyone especially in group gatherings.
- COME EARLY! BE PUNCTUAL! Zoom meetings always open 10-15 minutes before any FLG ZOOM event. Come early to mingle and get to know other people attending the event. We strive to start all FLG meetings and events on time and end promptly.
- IMPAIRED BEHAVIOR – Anyone arriving at an FLG ZOOM event impaired or under the influence will be asked to leave immediately.
- COMMITMENT – Members are asked to complete a Member Application form which provides our Leadership with information to better serve and support you. By completing this document, you are committing to regularly attend and support as many of the Group’s events and activities.
- CITIZEN OBLIGATION – As a citizen of Ontario, each of us is obligated to report any child abuse/neglect to Family and Children’s Services.
- THIS IS NOT A THERAPY SESSION – FLG events and activities are NOT therapy sessions or a place to bash or condemn a doctor or practitioner. The Group is not qualified to either provide or verify a diagnosis for Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and its symptoms.
- KEEP HOPE ALIVE – While we encourage sharing and candidness, we also want participants to leave our sessions in a positive, uplifting frame of mind. We want you to focus on learning what works for others; coping strategies; tips; and overcoming barriers or challenges so one can improve daily living with FM/CFS.
What have available? Paper, pen or tablet for personal use and taking notes; whatever you need to be comfortable that will help ease your pain levels – pillow, seat cushion, blanket, personal snacks, drink. Feel free to stretch, stand, take washroom breaks (click on your “Mute” button) and/or quietly move around if you need to during our events/activities.
PLEASE NOTE: The Group Manager, Sharing Circle Coordinators and Peer Leaders have the authority to ask a participant to leave an event, if the participant continually contravenes any of the above.
People say they understand, but we really do understand. https://fibrolondongroup.ca/2020/08/01/ill-stop-the-world-and-zoom-with-you/